Hey Foodies, today 27th September marks National Chocolate Milk Day. This day was invented by Hans Sloane in the late 1680s, today chocolate milk can be purchased premixed or it can be made at home with either cocoa powder and a sweetener or with melted chocolate, chocolate syrup or chocolate milk mix.
Five Food Finds about Milk
- Chocolate milk is a sweetened, usually cold, cocoa-flavored milk drink. It is created when chocolate syrup (or chocolate powder) is mixed with milk (from cows, goats, soy, rice, etc).
- It can be purchased pre-mixed or made at home with either cocoa powder and a sweetener (such as sugar or a sugar substitute), or with melted chocolate, chocolate syrup, or chocolate milk mix.
- Other ingredients, such as starch, salt, carrageenan, vanilla, or artificial flavoring may be added.
- Chocolate milk should be refrigerated like plain milk.
- A suspension is required to blend in the two flavors (milk and chocolate, hence the name of the mixed drink