A lollipop is a type of confectionery now consisting of a sweetmeat of hard candy or water-ice mounted on a stick and intended for sucking or licking.] Different informal terms are used in different places, including lolly, sucker, sticky-pop, etc Lollipops are available in many flavors and shapes.- source (Wikipedia)
Five Food Finds about Lollipops:
- The world’s largest lollipop was made in June 25, 2002. It was as tall as a Giraffe(15 feet tall) and about the weight of 23 full grown tigers. Oh ya it was Cherry flavoured.
- There are many things named after Lollipop, movies, songs, paintings etc.
- The original lollipop machine would produce 40 Lollipops per minute but the modern ones make 5,900 a minute.
- Lollipops were first made in 1908, in Connecticut by George Smith. He had named it after a horse he fancied, Lolly Pop.
- In the Midwest Lollipops are known as Suckers.