National Nut Day was set up by the Liberation Foods Company as a brilliant way to advocate Fairtrade nuts and promote deliciously healthy living! It is a public observance in celebration of all the good things about nuts. It is observed on October 22nd each year. It is promoted mostly in the United States and United Kingdom.
Facts about National Nuts Day:-
- No one really knows the origin of this day. Was it intended to celebrate all the nutty people and crazy behavior in the world? Or, was is a day dedicated to celebrating the edible 'nut' so many people eat?
- Peanuts are legumes, a member of the Pea family, not really nuts.
- There are about 540 peanuts in a 12 ounce jar of peanut butter.
- Nuts do not contain any cholesterol. In fact, nuts contain mono-unsaturated fatty acids especially oleic acid. It helps to lower LDL or 'bad cholesterol' and increases HDL or 'good cholesterol' level in the blood.
- Walnuts are considered one of the healthiest nuts. Walnuts contain the most omega-3 fatty acids. Walnuts also contain antioxidants that promotes immune system heath.
So eat a nut for me :-)